Community Solar - Virginia
Dominion Energy Virginia is developing a Community Solar Pilot Program. The voluntary program will allow customers to purchase energy from solar facilities located in communities throughout Virginia. This webpage will be updated with program information as it becomes available.
Program Development Status
On January 19, 2018, Dominion Energy Virginia filed an Application with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) for approval of the Virginia Community Solar Pilot Program. The SCC will issue a procedural order which will outline the transparent regulatory approval process. The Application and other procedural information will be available on the SCC’s website under Case Number PUR-2018-00009.
RFPs for Qualifying Solar Facilities
- NEW! February 20, 2018 - RFP Errata Sheet added to the 2018 RFP Bid Documents below.
- January 19, 2018 - Dominion Energy Virginia is seeking bids for new solar generation for the Virginia Community Solar Pilot Program. A request for proposals (RFP) is soliciting third-party bids for energy, capacity and renewable energy attributes specifically from solar facilities less than 500 kilowatts (direct current) in size. See below for RFP documents.
2018 Intent to Bid Documents
- 2018 Community Solar RFP Intent to Bid Form -- MS-Word | PDF
- 2018 Community Solar RFP Confidentiality Agreement -- MS-Word | PDF
2018 RFP Bid Documents
- 2018 Community Solar RFP Errata Sheet (PDF) added February 20, 2018
- 2018 Community Solar RFP (PDF)
- 2018 Community Solar RFP Information Form
Questions and Answers
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Community Solar Pilot Program?
The Virginia Community Solar Pilot Program is a voluntary program allowing Dominion Energy Virginia customers the opportunity to purchase energy from new solar facilities located in communities throughout Dominion Energy Virginia’s service territory.
Participating customers will subscribe to a voluntary companion rate schedule specific to the Virginia Community Solar Pilot Program. Program costs will primarily be recovered through this rate schedule; costs will not be passed to non-participants.
How did it come about?
Legislation recently enacted by the Virginia General Assembly in Senate Bill 1393 (2017) and customer interest in local solar energy generation led to the development of the Virginia Community Solar Pilot Program.
The legislation is one of several successful outcomes of the Solar Collaborative Workgroup consisting of Dominion Energy, Appalachian Power, the state’s electric cooperatives and other interested stakeholders. The goal of the workgroup was to develop consensus on policy changes for renewable energy initiatives.
When will the program be offered to customers?
Customer enrollment will likely be available in late 2018 or early 2019. On January 19, 2018, Dominion Energy Virginia filed an Application with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) for approval of the Virginia Community Solar Pilot Program. The regulatory approval process can take several months. Following SCC approval, Dominion Energy Virginia will provide further details and begin enrolling eligible customers.